VP of Communications
The VP of Communications is a key and highly visible senior role. You will be responsible for driving the image and reputation of Unison in earned and social media. This will require you to oversee our public and press relations, our big picture content strategy, and the development of our new brand in social and PR. You will manage a team to high-performance, one that is rapid moving, charismatic, and internally respected for expertise in content, PR, and Social.
This role has the ultimate responsibility for:
1) Spearheading our “ownable voice” in the media marketplace as well as our content narrative and plan
2) Leading, driving, and executing a category-defining social presence and measurable social currency that connects the Unison brand with our target audiences
3) Devising, crafting, and creating a breakthrough PR strategy that will drive engagement of consumers, investors, and the media
4) Creating and managing execution of both consumer and corporate events that drive buzz, awareness, interest, and engagement.
As the perfect candidate, you will have the right combination of ambition, sound judgement, creative ideas, rapid execution, and strategic thinking to infuse Unison’s brand narratives into the marketplace, generate followers and conversation, engage consumers, and capture measurable buzz. The role reports to the CMO.
Deliverables on which you’ll be measured:
- Manage a team of employees and agencies to create breakthrough strategies and creative ideas that thrust Unison into the public eye.
- Oversee a team of 4-5, including Director of Social, Social Marketing Manager, Senior Manager of PR & Events, Events Coordinator.
- Work closely with the CEO to craft his voice and impact as a thought leader, and place him in the spotlight as a key contributor in all relevant media conversations. Act as a coach and strong advisor to him with regard to the press.
- Must have an arresting, consumer-centric writing style that has as much “flair” as it is journalistic credibility - must be able to “sell” our story to key journalists in a way consistent with the CEOs vision and our brand voice.
- Partner with and coach the COO, CMO, CRO and Director of Channel Sales to drive them into the spotlight as company spokespeople, Secure press, podcasts and speaking engagements.
- Drive all PR activities for the team that generate constant drumbeat along with key campaigns throughout the year.
- Oversee and coach social media team on strategy for all published content including the company website, events, and brand extensions across platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Instagram Stories, Tumblr, and Flipboard.
- Drive and ensure sound paid social including boosting, paid influencer and sponsored content with measurable results
- Ensure flawless execution of highly integrated consumer and corporate events which may include large sponsorship deals that have multiple moving parts and a high degree of logistical coordination (Live Nation).
- As the senior-most marketing leader, you will partner closely with Brand and PR to ensure highly integrated and orchestrated social campaigns across key push periods, while also maintaining an “always on” social “pulse” on our owned properties.
- Oversee Unison brand/ storytelling style and voice to social platforms creating shareable content that remains true to the brand.
- Responsibility for the executive dashboard and reporting of all metrics including impression, engagements, sentiment and conversion
- Define all required technology tools to support a best-in-class content hub.
- As needed, oversee Video and Photography team schedule at the highest level to shoot, edit and/or produce company and brand video assets as in-house resource or in collaboration with external resource partners.
- Develop and communicate social best practices across the organization (editorial, consumer marketing, events, photo, design, etc.).
- Ensure Unison is an early innovator on emerging platforms and abreast of the latest social media trends.
Characteristics, skills, and experience to be successful in this role:
- 12+ years of experience working in Earned media/PR, Social Media and Events
- Exceptional ability to write – can create arresting, charismatic press releases, quotes, presentations
- Inspiring, charismatic out-in-front personality – you like to present and be seen in the org as a key influencer and leader (a bit of swagger is not a bad thing!)
- Agency experience a plus – in-house experience a must
- Inspirational leader who can work with CEO/Executive team and all the way into the org
- Relationship-based management style
- Have a glass half full attitude and approach to unifying and growing a positive environment with limited politics.
- Understand the value of real-time coaching and feedback
- Natural tendency to assume positive intent and drive collaborative, open and transparent teams
Unison has created a smarter, better way to buy and own homes – one we call “home co-investing.” Unison HomeBuyer helps buyers get the home they want with less debt, typically by doubling the down payment. Unison HomeOwner provides current homeowners with cash without the monthly payment or added debt of a home equity loan or HELOC, and without the interest and fees typically attached to a reverse mortgage. In short, Unison is working to ensure the American dream can once again become reality.
Recent Recognition & Press
• 2017 Unison was recognized as a leader in today’s financial technology space by winning three Benzinga Global Fintech Awards and the FinovateSpring ‘Best of Show’ Award.
• 2018 GoBankingRate included Unison on its list of ‘Startups to Watch in 2018’ and Bank Innovation added Thomas Sponholtz and Jim Riccitelli to its list of ‘Most Innovative CEOs in Banking.’
• In addition, the company raised over $300 million in total investment capital, experienced significant growth in headcount, and added industry veteran Ron Suber as an investor and strategic advisor.
Unison provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.