You’ve read the news - what used to be the quintessential American dream of homeownership is now nothing more than a pipe dream. Millennials are cash-strapped by a combination of student debt, the ever-rising cost of rent, and stagnant wages. Older Americans who were able to save, buy homes, and raise their families, are faced with high medical expenses and other family emergencies that put their hard-earned equity and actual homes at risk, just when they are closing in on what they thought would be their relaxing retirement years. That life that we all seek – the one centered around owning and enjoying the home we want – is threatened by an antiquated process that has felt more punishing than partnering.
Unison is changing this.
Unison has created a smarter, better way to buy and own homes – one we call “home co-investing.” With a home co-investment from Unison, you get cash today in exchange for a share in the appreciation or depreciation of your home. Don't think loan. There's no extra debt, no interest and no monthly payments.
Unison HomeBuyer helps buyers get the home they want with less debt, typically by doubling the down payment. The larger down payment makes it easier to qualify for a mortgage loan, increases buying power, lowers monthly payments and/or allows a buyer to reserve cash. Unison HomeOwner provides current homeowners with cash without the monthly payment, or added debt of a home equity loan or HELOC, and without the interest and fees typically attached to a reverse mortgage.
In short, Unison is working to ensure that the American dream can once again, become reality.
Our mission of enabling home ownership means as much to you as it does to us. You seek a challenge that requires creative thinking, and rewards inspired thought and effort in building something great. You enjoy working across teams, projects, and personalities, and pitching in to help others when you see an opportunity. You thrive in a culture that embraces intellectual curiosity, analytical rigor, and deep empathy for the customer, whether that customer is internal or external to the Company. Finally, building something new is exciting to you. You see ambiguity as an opportunity to seize.
The Security Engineer is responsible for helping grow the information security and security risk management programs at Unison. You will be responsible for securing Unison’s infrastructure by working closely with the IT infrastructure, architecture, product, and cloud teams in defining security standards, providing security oversight, and driving security projects to reduce the cybersecurity risk to Unison.
In addition, you will be responsible for maintaining security operations by leveraging managed security service providers, performing incident response, application and infrastructure security assessments, penetration testing, implementing and supporting new security tools and technologies, improving situational awareness within the environment by leveraging monitoring systems, and scripting and coding where necessary.
Deliverables on which you’ll be measured:
- Provide security advisory services support by recommending improvements to information security systems, procedures and processes based on industry best practices and innovative thinking
- Provide security engineering capabilities by designing and building solutions to help mitigate cybersecurity risks
- Support Information Security operations through managing and operating security tools and services.
- Perform project leadership tasks on select security projects
- Provide architectural oversight and direction for enterprise-wide security technology for select projects
- Provide enforcement of security policies, standards, and procedures as well as direct improvements to these as needed
- Research emerging technologies and maintain awareness of current security risks in support of security enhancement and development efforts
- Perform risk assessments of security controls in a complex, heterogeneous enterprise computing environment to ensure appropriate defense-in-depth
Characteristics, skills, and experience to be successful in this role:
- Bachelor's degree (B.S.) in computer science or related field, or Bachelor's degree (B.A.) and equivalent work experience
- 3+ years’ experience in the field of information security in at least three of the following areas: Endpoint Protection, security engineering, incident handling, penetration testing, intrusion detection, firewall access control technologies, risk management, vulnerability management, identity management, Windows or Unix security, Cloud Security, encryption technologies, or endpoint security controls
- 5+ years in the area of information technology in three of the following areas: systems engineering, networking, applications engineering, security, databases, storage, client-side technologies, or systems' administration
- Excellent analytical skills, organizational skills, ingenuity and the ability to work as part of a team
- Experience with developing and implementing cybersecurity plans
- Excellent communication skills with a track record of partnering with a diverse set of business units to achieve success
- Advanced analysis and decision-making skills to facilitate resolution of complex issues, and to promote and evangelize an effective controls environment across the enterprise
- Solid foundation of knowledge around application, network and endpoint security
- Strong self-directed work habits, exhibiting initiative, drive, creativity, maturity, self-assurance and professionalism
- Proven project management and organizational skills, specifically managing multiple concurrent projects
- Experience with Linux, Windows, and Mac OS operating systems
- Experience with traditional and cloud infrastructure environments
Why join us?
The Unison team draws on a deep and wide range of talent across several disciplines. Visionaries in investment management, product development, and financial technology are joined by innovative real estate and consumer finance experts creating a unique culture.
Perks of the Unison employee include: competitive salaries, 100% paid medical and dental benefits, generous PTO policy, paid parental leave program, and a fantastic downtown SF location, as well as being an integral part of a well-funded market leader with incredible momentum.
Unison provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal or local law.