Director of Marketing Research
The Director of Marketing Research is an Independent Contributor role that oversees the following key focus areas:
- Be the single source of expertise on our customers and partners
- Oversee execution of all research for Marketing
- Create compelling and actionable insights that can be actioned across the business
- Operationalize and build out a system of intelligence sharing across the company
Deliverables on which you’ll be measured:
- Drive research findings and insights across the company in service of constantly keeping a “customer-centric” focus to all we do
- Build an earned reputation as the single source of information all things customer to a myriad of stakeholders from Marketing, Strategy, Revenue (Sales), Product, Engineering, and Investor Management.
- Bring Unison’s different customer types to life to fuel brand strategy, social marketing, commercial product development and tech product prototyping
- Drive strategy to maximize understanding of our customer, their decision-making process, and influencer eco-system
- Lead research on brand and product messaging architecture with ongoing studies to ensure consumer alignment.
- Thought leader for market sizing, concept testing, brand tracking, and go to market strategies.
- Translate research findings into clear and actionable insights through thoughtful data collection, in-depth analysis, sharp observations, smart story-telling, and compelling presentations.
- Apply research insights and findings to business problems and work with a cross-section of stakeholders to design consumer-centric marketing strategies.
- Create a “library” of storytelling assets around who our customer is and iterate over time.
- Identify and manage a stable of research partners to execute quant/qual/ethno and product prototyping research.
- Comfort with and knowledge of qualitative (focus groups, ethnographic and psychographics studies, etc.) research techniques and multi-method techniques.
- Deep experience with survey design and analysis.
- Comfort analyzing survey results w/ advanced Excel functions.
- Collaborate with marketing leaders to find answers to their customer questions, while also leading studies on our market perception and position.
- Oversee all research strategy and methodologies, from digital community testing to in-market 1:1's to robust surveys.
- Propose solutions and draw from research to generate emotional and inspirational insights, not just numbers.
- Translate research into insights that inspire innovation
- Be an essential part of the brand-creation team and hold the customer central to all creative execution.
- Ensure most senior strategic thinkers and directors have access to and understand all research and insights.
- Lead and drive presentations, talks, and lunch & learns to continuously be the face of our customer
Characteristics, skills, and experience to be successful in this role:
- Have a glass half full attitude and approach to unifying and growing a positive environment with limited politics.
- Understand the value of real-time coaching and feedback
- Natural tendency to assume positive intent and drive collaborative, open and transparent teams
- 7+ years of customer insights and research work, with particular focus in brand marketing and building marketing and customer-centric environments
- Self-starter that thrives in an IC role
- Stellar presentation and social skills
- Relationship-based management style
- Inspirational leader who can work with the Executive team and the entire org
Unison has created a smarter, better way to buy and own homes – one we call “home co-investing.” Unison HomeBuyer helps buyers get the home they want with less debt, typically by doubling the down payment. Unison HomeOwner provides current homeowners with cash without the monthly payment or added debt of a home equity loan or HELOC, and without the interest and fees typically attached to a reverse mortgage. In short, Unison is working to ensure the American dream can once again become reality.
Perks of the Unison employee include: competitive salaries, 100% paid medical and dental benefits, generous PTO policy, paid parental leave program, and a fantastic downtown SF location, as well as being an integral part of a well-funded market leader with incredible momentum.
Recent Recognition & Press
- 2017 Unison was recognized as a leader in today’s financial technology space by winning three Benzinga Global Fintech Awards and the FinovateSpring ‘Best of Show’ Award.
- 2018 GoBankingRate included Unison on its list of ‘Startups to Watch in 2018’ and Bank Innovation added Thomas Sponholtz and Jim Riccitelli to its list of ‘Most Innovative CEOs in Banking.’
- In addition, the company raised over $300 million in total investment capital, experienced significant growth in headcount, and added industry veteran Ron Suber as an investor and strategic advisor.
Unison provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.