You’ve read the news - what used to be the quintessential American dream of homeownership is now nothing more than a pipe dream. Millennials are cash-strapped by a combination of student debt, the ever-rising cost of rent, and stagnant wages. Older Americans who were able to save, buy homes, and raise their families, are faced with high medical expenses and other family emergencies that put their hard-earned equity and actual homes at risk, just when they are closing in on what they thought would be their relaxing retirement years. That life that we all seek – the one centered around owning and enjoying the home we want – is threatened by an antiquated process that has felt more punishing than partnering.
Unison is changing this.
Unison has created a smarter, better way to buy and own homes – one we call “home co-investing.” With a home co-investment from Unison, you get cash today in exchange for a share in the appreciation or depreciation of your home. Don't think loan. There's no extra debt, no interest and no monthly payments.
Unison HomeBuyer helps buyers get the home they want with less debt, typically by doubling the down payment. The larger down payment makes it easier to qualify for a mortgage loan, increases buying power, lowers monthly payments and/or allows a buyer to reserve cash. Unison HomeOwner provides current homeowners with cash without the monthly payment, or added debt of a home equity loan or HELOC, and without the interest and fees typically attached to a reverse mortgage.
In short, Unison is working to ensure that the American dream can once again, become reality.
Our mission of enabling home ownership means as much to you as it does to us. You seek a challenge that requires creative thinking, and rewards inspired thought and effort in building something great. You enjoy working across teams, projects, and personalities, and pitching in to help others when you see an opportunity. You thrive in a culture that embraces intellectual curiosity, analytical rigor, and deep empathy for the customer, whether that customer is internal or external to the Company. Finally, building something new is exciting to you. You see ambiguity as an opportunity to seize.
Consumer Compliance Manager
Reporting to the General Counsel, this position is responsible for the development and maintenance of the consumer compliance program at Unison. This role will require direct interaction with senior management and advise executives and line management on compliance issues. This position requires excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to independently manage assigned areas of responsibility.
Deliverables on which you’ll be measured:
- Support to various business groups, with an emphasis on marketing, sales, business development, and partnerships
- Ensure that appropriate regulatory policies, procedures, and controls are established, maintained, and documented
- Develop and deliver employee trainings regarding regulatory risks and responsibilities.
- Develop as the ‘go-to’ person within the company for policies and procedures relating to various compliance matters
- Assist in coordinating regulatory examinations, internal audits, and other compliance reviews
- Develop policies and procedures relating to the company and ensure that such policies and procedures are up to date and reflect current operational practices
Characteristics, skills, and experience to be successful in this role:
- 5+ years of business experience and/or proven success in a previous related field
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Well-versed in current consumer protection regulations and compliance requirements related to FCRA, TCPA, RESPA, and various privacy statutes
- Analytical, highly organized, detail oriented and ability to ensure completion of simultaneous projects
- Natural hands-on leadership skills and a pragmatic business-focused approach to delivering products
- Organized, with the ability to implement systems and process to bring structure to a function whilst retaining the flexibility required to manage effectively in a business undergoing rapid growth and change
- Unquestionable integrity and ethics and a track record of open communication
- A pragmatic approach and adaptability to change
- An ownership mentality - a self-starter who will take the initiative to make a meaningful impact
- Curious, with a continuous desire to learn and foster an environment that provides growth opportunities for all employees
Why join us?
The Unison team draws on a deep and wide range of talent across several disciplines. Visionaries in investment management, product development, and financial technology are joined by innovative real estate and consumer finance experts creating a unique culture.
Perks of the Unison employee include: competitive salaries, 100% paid medical and dental benefits, generous PTO policy, paid parental leave program, and a fantastic downtown SF location, as well as being an integral part of a well-funded market leader with incredible momentum.
Unison provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal or local law.