You’ve read the news - what used to be the quintessential American dream of homeownership is now nothing more than a pipe dream. Millennials are cash-strapped by a combination of student debt, the ever-rising cost of rent, and stagnant wages. Older Americans who were able to save, buy homes, and raise their families, are faced with high medical expenses and other family emergencies that put their hard-earned equity and actual homes at risk, just when they are closing in on what they thought would be their relaxing retirement years. That life that we all seek – the one centered around owning and enjoying the home we want – is threatened by an antiquated process that has felt more punishing than partnering.
Unison is changing this.
Unison has created a smarter, better way to buy and own homes – one we call “home co-investing.” With a home co-investment from Unison, you get cash today in exchange for a share in the appreciation or depreciation of your home. Don't think loan. There's no extra debt, no interest and no monthly payments.
Unison HomeBuyer helps buyers get the home they want with less debt, typically by doubling the down payment. The larger down payment makes it easier to qualify for a mortgage loan, increases buying power, lowers monthly payments and/or allows a buyer to reserve cash.
Unison HomeOwner provides current homeowners with cash without the monthly payment, or added debt of a home equity loan or HELOC, and without the interest and fees typically attached to a reverse mortgage.
In short, Unison is working to ensure that the American dream can once again, become reality.
Our mission of enabling home ownership means as much to you as it does to us. You seek a challenge that requires creative thinking, and rewards inspired thought and effort in building something great. You enjoy working across teams, projects, and personalities, and pitching in to help others when you see an opportunity. You thrive in a culture that embraces intellectual curiosity, analytical rigor, and deep empathy for the customer, whether that customer is internal or external to the Company. Finally, building something new is exciting to you. You see ambiguity as an opportunity to seize.
Director of Business Development, Enterprise
We are seeking a results-driven Director of Business Development, Enterprise to source and execute partnership opportunities which accelerate Unison’s growth. You will establish relationships yielding large-scale revenue opportunities over both the short and long-term that benefit our End Customer, Partner, and Unison. You will need to be able to coordinate and collaborate across the organization with leaders on our Sales, Marketing, Product, Engineering, and Investment Management teams, playing an integral part in driving Unison’s future growth.
Deliverables on which you'll be measured:
As a member of the Business Development team, the Director of Business Development, Enterprise will carry direct responsibility for establishing commercial relationships with key enterprise partners. This includes:
- Source, structure, negotiate, execute, and implement strategic deals that support Unison’s mission to transform and optimize the way people buy and own homes.
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative analysis to identify the most impactful potential verticals (e.g. real estate, retail banking, wealth management, etc.) and specific strategic partners.
- Gain a full understanding of a target partner’s business, its goals, and overall organizational structure.
- Clearly define “success” for target partners and communicate in a financially grounded way.
- Establish a standard operating procedure (SOP) for each of the major partner verticals that can later be adopted by junior team members.
- Organize and partner with internal stakeholders including Product, Engineering, Marketing, and Investment Management with clear guidance on desired outcome for Customer/Partner/Unison.
- Maintain a sharp understanding of industry trends, customer needs, competitive offerings, and marketplace dynamics.
- Inform, influence, support, and execute our product decisions.
- Track, analyze, influence, and communicate key metrics to build opportunities and experiences that create scale and meaningful ecosystem value.
- Develop and communicate internal/external reporting, analysis, and presentations for Unison Partners.
Characteristics, skills, and experience to be successful in this role:
- Bachelor’s degree (business, economics, finance, or any other analytical discipline)
- 7+ years’ experience in business development, partnership management, corporate strategy, investment banking, management consulting, or a similar role
- 4+ years of demonstrated ability to collaborate with and manage internal stakeholders, including groups such as Product, Engineering, Marketing, and Investment Management
- Mentality of a hunter – an ability to appropriately identify impactful opportunities and pursue them relentlessly to successful outcomes
- Proven record of influencing change across organizations, creating and executing on partnerships, and negotiating deals
- Experience communicating and presenting ideas to C-level external and internal audiences
- Ability to analyze and apply data to business strategy and goals
- Self-starter with ability to bring structure to unstructured challenges, remain organized, and complete work consistently by or before agreed upon deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a proven ability to present analysis and results to senior management
- Strong proficiency with Excel, PowerPoint, and Salesforce
- MBA is a plus
- Experience in financial services is a plus
Why join us?
The Unison team draws on a deep and wide range of talent across several disciplines. Visionaries in investment management, product development, and financial technology are joined by innovative real estate and consumer finance experts creating a unique culture.
Perks of the Unison employee include: competitive salaries, 100% paid medical and dental benefits, generous PTO policy, paid parental leave program, and a fantastic downtown SF location, as well as being an integral part of a well-funded market leader with incredible momentum.
Unison provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal or local law.