You’ve read the news - what used to be the quintessential American dream of homeownership is now nothing more than a pipe dream. Millennials are cash-strapped by a combination of student debt, the ever-rising cost of rent, and stagnant wages. Older Americans who were able to save, buy homes, and raise their families, are faced with high medical expenses and other family emergencies that put their hard-earned equity and actual homes at risk, just when they are closing in on what they thought would be their relaxing retirement years. That life that we all seek – the one centered around owning and enjoying the home we want – is threatened by an antiquated process that has felt more punishing than partnering.
Unison is changing this.
Unison has created a smarter, better way to buy and own homes – one we call “home co-investing.” With a home co-investment from Unison, you get cash today in exchange for a share in the appreciation or depreciation of your home. Don't think loan. There's no extra debt, no interest and no monthly payments.
Unison HomeBuyer helps buyers get the home they want with less debt, typically by doubling the down payment. The larger down payment makes it easier to qualify for a mortgage loan, increases buying power, lowers monthly payments and/or allows a buyer to reserve cash. Unison HomeOwner provides current homeowners with cash without the monthly payment, or added debt of a home equity loan or HELOC, and without the interest and fees typically attached to a reverse mortgage.
In short, Unison is working to ensure that the American dream can once again, become reality.
Our mission of enabling home ownership means as much to you as it does to us. You seek a challenge that requires creative thinking, and rewards inspired thought and effort in building something great. You enjoy working across teams, projects, and personalities, and pitching in to help others when you see an opportunity. You thrive in a culture that embraces intellectual curiosity, analytical rigor, and deep empathy for the customer, whether that customer is internal or external to the Company. Finally, building something new is exciting to you. You see ambiguity as an opportunity to seize.
Director of Business Systems
As our Director of Business Systems, you’ll be responsible for accelerating Unison’s growth by digitizing our critical business processes and enhancing our enterprise applications, especially Salesforce. Reporting to the VP of IT, you will lead and grow a technical team to deliver innovative solutions in a complex and rapidly growing environment. Additionally, you will ensure efficient operations for critical business functions including marketing, sales, customer support, acquisitions, and investment analysis.
You’ll be the Product Leader for Unison’s business systems, partnering with functions across the company. You’ll determine your team’s staffing and strategy. You’ll build highly effective development and delivery processes to deliver on your strategy. To be successful in this role you’ll need to be an outstanding leader who is highly organized, able to set effective strategies, and always thinking about scale, creating strong relationships across the company and implementing a hands-on vision.
Deliverables on which you'll be measured:
- Own and drive Unison’s Business Systems strategy to accelerate growth and scale the company.
- Partner with functional leaders to create and execute a technical strategy that streamlines and digitizes critical business processes.
- Own the business systems architecture ensuring solutions and integrations support Unison’s growth.
- Build, mentor, and scale the business systems team; lead both functional and technical members of the team.
- Manage ongoing relationships with existing vendors and lead vendor negotiations.
- Design, develop, and monitor controls to secure customer PII.
- Communicate technical concepts and break down complex business problems into easily understood communications to internal and external partners.
- Lead major business system projects, ensuring executives and stakeholders are aware of outcomes and status.
- Represent Unison at conferences, showcasing our innovative solutions to complex business challenges.
Characteristics, skills, and experience to be successful in this role:
- 10+ years with progressive enterprise application implementation experience leading functional/technical teams
- 7+ years of application management experience with broad responsibility for back and front office application infrastructure including marketing, sales, customer support, finance, HR, and operations.
- Extensive experience with large scale Salesforce implementations as a consultant, in an agile enterprise, or as a key member of a fast-growing startup … ideally all 3
- Highly-developed communication and interpersonal skills (written/verbal), with the ability to articulate complex ideas to all levels of management including senior leaders and C-level executives
- Understanding and experience with managing an outsourced technology service partners to deliver business applications and support services
- Strong technical expertise and experience with software architecture, application integration using middleware such as MuleSoft, and DevOps processes and tools.
- Outstanding people management skills with extensive experience developing technical teams
Why join us?
The Unison team draws on a deep and wide range of talent across several disciplines. Visionaries in investment management, product development, and financial technology are joined by innovative real estate and consumer finance experts creating a unique culture.
Perks of the Unison employee include: competitive salaries, 100% paid medical and dental benefits, generous PTO policy, paid parental leave program, and a fantastic downtown SF location, as well as being an integral part of a well-funded market leader with incredible momentum.
Unison provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal or local law.