You’ve read the news - what used to be the quintessential American dream of homeownership is now nothing more than a pipe dream. Millennials are cash-strapped by a combination of student debt, the ever-rising cost of rent, and stagnant wages. Older Americans who were able to save, buy homes, and raise their families, are faced with high medical expenses and other family emergencies that put their hard-earned equity and actual homes at risk, just when they are closing in on what they thought would be their relaxing retirement years. That life that we all seek – the one centered around owning and enjoying the home we want – is threatened by an antiquated process that has felt more punishing than partnering.
Unison is changing this.
Unison has created a smarter, better way to buy and own homes – one we call “home co-investing.” With a home co-investment from Unison, you get cash today in exchange for a share in the appreciation or depreciation of your home. Don't think loan. There's no extra debt, no interest and no monthly payments.
Unison HomeBuyer helps buyers get the home they want with less debt, typically by doubling the down payment. The larger down payment makes it easier to qualify for a mortgage loan, increases buying power, lowers monthly payments and/or allows a buyer to reserve cash. Unison HomeOwner provides current homeowners with cash without the monthly payment, or added debt of a home equity loan or HELOC, and without the interest and fees typically attached to a reverse mortgage.
In short, Unison is working to ensure that the American dream can once again, become reality.
Our mission of enabling home ownership means as much to you as it does to us. You seek a challenge that requires creative thinking, and rewards inspired thought and effort in building something great. You enjoy working across teams, projects, and personalities, and pitching in to help others when you see an opportunity. You thrive in a culture that embraces intellectual curiosity, analytical rigor, and deep empathy for the customer, whether that customer is internal or external to the Company. Finally, building something new is exciting to you. You see ambiguity as an opportunity to seize.
Director of Infrastructure Engineering and Ops
Reporting to the VP of IT and Security, the Director of Infrastructure Engineering and Operations will accelerate Unison’s growth by delivering a suite of IT services for Unison’s workforce and business functions. You’ll bring your user-centric, business-focused, cloud-first thinking to building and scaling infrastructure services. You’ll build a best-in-class technology environment that delivers forward-looking solutions to enable Unison’s growth. This position will be responsible for driving the overall strategy, operations, and management of Unison’s IT Infrastructure in collaboration with stakeholders across the company.
Deliverables on which you'll be measured:
- Lead Unison IT infrastructure Engineering and Operations teams including desktop services, service desk, and cloud operations. Ensure Unison’s infrastructure is reliable, scalable, and secure.
- Maintain outstanding partnerships with functions across the company including the executive leadership team, business and technology teams, and key stakeholders; partner with senior leaders to build the infrastructure engineering and operations vision and strategy.
- Align and inspire the Infrastructure Engineering and Operations organization by effectively communicating your vision; translate the infrastructure strategy into results and drive accountability with metrics ownership (KPIs/OKRs).
- Deliver desktop services that create a delightful user experience; whether an employee is sending an email, making a call, running a meeting, or working on the road, you and your team will make sure they have whatever they need to be productive.
- Build a world-class DevOps and SRE practice to support Unison’s different technology environments and public cloud Infrastructure - think infrastructure as code, and CI/CD.
- Oversee the Infrastructure Engineering and Operations budget; evaluate sequencing, build vs. buy, and insource vs. outsource options to ensure the right balance of speed, cost, and delivering against short-term vs. longer term goals.
- Ensure a learning environment where you and your team are aware of the constant stream of innovation and are willing to rip & replace whatever stands in the way of delivering the best IT solutions to support Unison’s workforce and ensure our success.
- Implement a continuous improvement approach to services delivery; measure everything and drive strategic and operational decisions using data, metrics, and KPIs.
- Manage a collaborative, ownership-driven culture that strives to achieve excellence and delight the customer; ensure exceptional employee support driving reputation as a great place to work.
Characteristics, skills, and experience to be successful in this role:
- 10+ years of progressive experience leading technical teams and building organizations
- Extensive experience with IT Infrastructure, Engineering, and Operations including Network Infrastructure, email services, Identity Infrastructure, and Productivity SaaS offering, Public Cloud Infrastructure, Desktop and Service desk design and operations, DevOps and SRE practice, Security Operations, Infrastructure, and cloud architecture
- Outstanding communication skills with the ability to present complex issues to a wide range of audiences including executives, partners/vendors, internal teams, and external audiences
- Knowledge of IT Service Management and ITIL framework with the know-how to tailor IT best practices to the unique needs of a rapidly growing organization
- Knowledge and experience building a cloud-first rapidly growing startup is a plus. Ability to adapt to rapidly a changing environment and demonstrated ability to plan services and workforce on the trajectory and future needs of the business
- Ability to operate at multiple altitudes with a bias towards execution; capable of balancing a startup's pace of delivery with the longer-term strategic needs of the business
- An empathic and compassionate leadership style focused on developing and growing the team with a passion for excellence that inspires your team and excites your peers across the company
Why join us?
The Unison team draws on a deep and wide range of talent across several disciplines. Visionaries in investment management, product development, and financial technology are joined by innovative real estate and consumer finance experts creating a unique culture.
Perks of the Unison employee include: competitive salaries, 100% paid medical and dental benefits, generous PTO policy, paid parental leave program, and a fantastic downtown SF location, as well as being an integral part of a well-funded market leader with incredible momentum.
Unison provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal or local law.