You’ve read the news - what used to be the quintessential American dream of homeownership is now nothing more than a pipe dream. Millennials are cash-strapped by a combination of student debt, the ever-rising cost of rent, and stagnant wages. Older Americans who were able to save, buy homes, and raise their families, are faced with high medical expenses and other family emergencies that put their hard-earned equity and actual homes at risk, just when they are closing in on what they thought would be their relaxing retirement years. That life that we all seek – the one centered around owning and enjoying the home we want – is threatened by an antiquated process that has felt more punishing than partnering.
Unison is changing this.
Unison has created a smarter, better way to buy and own homes – one we call “home co-investing.” With a home co-investment from Unison, you get cash today in exchange for a share in the appreciation or depreciation of your home. Don't think loan. There's no extra debt, no interest and no monthly payments.
Unison HomeBuyer helps buyers get the home they want with less debt, typically by doubling the down payment. The larger down payment makes it easier to qualify for a mortgage loan, increases buying power, lowers monthly payments and/or allows a buyer to reserve cash. Unison HomeOwner provides current homeowners with cash without the monthly payment, or added debt of a home equity loan or HELOC, and without the interest and fees typically attached to a reverse mortgage.
In short, Unison is working to ensure that the American dream can once again, become reality.
Our mission of enabling home ownership means as much to you as it does to us. You seek a challenge that requires creative thinking, and rewards inspired thought and effort in building something great. You enjoy working across teams, projects, and personalities, and pitching in to help others when you see an opportunity. You thrive in a culture that embraces intellectual curiosity, analytical rigor, and deep empathy for the customer, whether that customer is internal or external to the Company. Finally, building something new is exciting to you. You see ambiguity as an opportunity to seize.
As the General Manager, it’s imperative that you have unparalleled business judgment and critical thinking skills with the ability to use data to quickly establish the highest value priorities and develop a strategy to pursue them. You are responsible for managing your product’s P&L, and championing the needs of your product. You have a successful track record of building both systems and teams tied directly to the top and bottom line results of the organization.
This is a role for a strong analytical operator and visionary, who will focus on driving sustainable growth and foster innovation for one of Unison’s core products while simultaneously building, coaching and inspiring high performing teams. You are known for your collaborative style across functional and specialized teams, both internally and externally, including marketing, sales, digital products, and acquisitions.
Deliverables on which you’ll be measured:
- Stretch for increasingly higher levels of impact across all core operational metrics
- Motivate and leverage existing and new staff to continually up-level their results
- Maintain a business level roadmap for your product
- Drive Hypothesis testing - prioritize, create testing and track large bets
- Create a plan to go from pilot to full operational ability across the entire company to deliver on financial & customer objectives
- Create and execute against rigorous business plans & budgets that use go-to-market strategy best practices
- Ensure that all product-level P&Ls achieve their financial performance targets
- Discover and design business solutions while working with functional peers to execute against your operational plans
- Create, lead, and manage an organization with high morale
Characteristics, skills, and experience to be successful in this role:
- Grit and willingness to roll up your sleeves and tackle something hands-on; you persevere...you go from building an excel model to hustling for business
- Strong results orientation and comfort in being held highly accountable
- 8+ years of relevant experience in sales, operations, management consulting, investment banking, or similar
- Experience launching new products, markets, or channels for a high growth company
- Strong analytical ability with practical/applied bent
- Speed and incredible work ethic
- Passion and drive to modernize home financing – so the American dream can once again become reality.
Why join us?
The Unison team draws on a deep and wide range of talent across several disciplines. Visionaries in investment management, product development, and financial technology are joined by innovative real estate and consumer finance experts creating a unique culture.
Perks of the Unison employee include: competitive salaries, 100% paid medical and dental benefits, generous PTO policy, paid parental leave program, and a fantastic downtown SF location, as well as being an integral part of a well-funded market leader with incredible momentum.
Unison provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal or local law.