PR Manager, Investment Management
We are seeking a PR Manager, Investment Management (reporting to the Director of Institutional Sales and Marketing) to drive awareness and educate institutional investors about Unison. This position will manage media relations and corporate communications for Unison Investment Management and collaborate closely with the broader Unison marketing and communications team. The position will form and cultivate strong relationships with the investment management news media to establish Unison as the preeminent thought leader and investment manager of choice for a new core asset class.
Deliverables on which you’ll be measured:
- Drive regular contact with reporters and editors. Plan and research story ideas to proactively pitch to media representatives. Arrange interviews with executives, team leadership, research and other ambassadors.
- Develop and execute an institutional events strategy to support fundraising priorities and best position our brand with target investors.
- Identify, prioritize, and execute sponsorship agreements with selected media outlets.
- Research and prepare press releases and other press materials, including statements, Q&As, backgrounders, pitches, fact sheets, press kits, bylined articles, and other materials that are highly professional, effective, creative, and accurate.
- Work closely alongside legal and compliance to ensure Unison is never put in jeopardy by its communications activities.
- Monitor and summarize news media for industry/market trends and developments most relevant to Unison Investment Management.
- Maintain frequent engagement with and being accountable to Unison’s broader marketing and communications team to share ideas, strategies and content, avoid overlap, and maintain complete alignment of messaging.
- Train and prepare executives for media engagements and serve as a counselor to internal partners. Create briefing materials for media events/interviews.
- Respond promptly to inquiries from the news media and coordinate effective responses from Unison spokespersons.
- Provide sound and reasoned counsel on public perception and business issues. Identify media issues and develop strategies and tactics for obtaining positive media coverage and mitigating adverse publicity.
- Support overall vision for institutional marketing, introducing ideas and robust approaches to better understand our clients’ needs and how we most effectively communicate with them.
Characteristics, skills, and experience to be successful in this role:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years of investment management industry media experience as a journalist, at an agency or in-house.
- Experience working within a highly regulated environment and robust knowledge of the restrictions that apply to alternative investment managers
- Comfort and experience operating in a matrix organization
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills
- Proven ability to synthesize and explain complex subject matter in plain English
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail
- Collaborative ability to work with various departments and levels of management including senior executives
- Ability to write quickly and meet deadlines
- Willingness to "cover" corporate events outside usual business hours
- Understanding of how to use data and research to drive media and public relations efforts
- Dynamic, motivated self-starter who is flexible and adaptable to change
Unison has created a smarter, better way to buy and own homes – one we call “home co-investing.” Unison HomeBuyer helps buyers get the home they want with less debt, typically by doubling the down payment. Unison HomeOwner provides current homeowners with cash without the monthly payment or added debt of a home equity loan or HELOC, and without the interest and fees typically attached to a reverse mortgage. In short, Unison is working to ensure the American dream can once again become reality.
Recent Recognition & Press
- 2017 Unison was recognized as a leader in today’s financial technology space by winning three Benzinga Global Fintech Awards and the FinovateSpring ‘Best of Show’ Award.
- 2018 GoBankingRate included Unison on its list of ‘Startups to Watch in 2018’ and Bank Innovation added Thomas Sponholtz and Jim Riccitelli to its list of ‘Most Innovative CEOs in Banking.’
- In addition, the company raised over $300 million in total investment capital, experienced significant growth in headcount, and added industry veteran Ron Suber as an investor and strategic advisor.
Unison provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.