Our mission of enabling home ownership means as much to you as it does to us. You seek a challenge that requires creative thinking, and rewards inspired thought and effort in building something great. You enjoy working across teams, projects, and personalities, and pitching in to help others when you see an opportunity. You thrive in a culture that embraces intellectual curiosity, analytical rigor, and deep empathy for the customer, whether that customer is internal or external to the company. Finally, building something new is exciting to you.
Unison is looking for a Principal Software Engineer to lead our microservices engineering teams. Lead by example with your years of experience in backend engineering to mentor junior engineers and to deliver reliable, robust, well performing services. Written and verbal communication will be important as you work within cross functional teams attending daily standups and other scrum and design meetings. Documentation is key to understanding what we are building both in the present and in the future. You live and breathe concepts like microservices and event-driven architectures. RESTful does not mean a nap to you but a way to communicate data and intent. You want to embrace serverless technologies and apply modern architectural patterns in your day to day work. You strive to work smarter and to optimize engineering processes to squeeze more out of a day.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Lead a team of engineers that are building our core infrastructure used to do business.
- Participate in design sessions with a cross functional team providing advice and documenting solutions to problems.
- Attend daily stand ups and weekly scrum meetings.
- Create and update technical documentation.
- Research new technologies and how they might fit into our ecosystem
- Mentor more junior engineers through code reviews and other learning sessions.
- Respond to operational issues that might arise to help triage and fix problems as quickly as possible.
- Build technology roadmaps for engineering driven initiatives to help improve our existing services.
What you will bring to the team:
- Expert in Node.js.
- Expert in building services on AWS including ECS, Lambda, SQS, SNS, Kinesis, and API Gateway or related technologies.
- Comfortable with document databases such as DynamoDB and ElasticSearch as well as relational databases.
- Experience with Agile/Scrum methodology.
- 15 years working as a software engineer
- 10 years of experience as a backend end software engineer
- 5 years of experience with Node.js
- 5 years of experience working with AWS or equivalent cloud compute service.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience using Atlassian tools including Jira and Confluence
- Experience with a diagram creation tool like LucidCharts
- Experience with Github
- Experience with cloud based architectures and designing services that run on cloud compute services
- BS in CS / EE / CE / SE or equivalent related work experience
We recognize that people come with experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job. If your experience is close to what you see listed here, please still consider applying. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and excellence. Therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions. Please let us know if you require accommodations during the interview process.
Unison is a San Francisco-based company that is pioneering a smarter, better way to own your home. Until now, the only way to finance a home was by taking on debt. Through the Unison Agreement, we help homeowners access their equity flexibly with no monthly payments or interest. We enhance home affordability, reduce debt, and deliver a less risky way for homeowners, investors, and society to think about their most important asset - the home. For additional information, visit www.unison.com or follow us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter and YouTube.
2019 was a record-breaking year for Unison. We expanded our offering to 30 states, surpassed the 5B mark in real estate investments and partnered with over 7K customers through our HomeBuyer and HomeOwner programs. This tremendous growth was recognized by the Deloitte Technology Fast500 awards, where we ranked the 3rd fastest growing company in the Bay Area and the 19th across the United States as well as being included in the 2020 Forbes Fintech50.
Unison provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.